Welcome to Blogtober

Happy by Design | #Blogtober14

October 1. The leaves are falling. Sweaters are getting chunkier. I’ve already made two batches of apple crisp. Guys, it’s officially fall. And with the new season comes a new challenge for the writers here at Happy by Design (I sound professional, right?). This October we’re going to be posting every day.

That’s right. BLOGTOBER, baby. 

The rules? Well it’s pretty simple. Blog every day in October.

Now, the great ladies over at The Daily Tay and Helene in Between have been kind enough to come up with prompts for each day, so we’ll be using those and throwing in our own posts here and there when the mood strikes us.

Want to join in on the fun? More details on #blogtober14, here.

So let’s get started already!

 

Today’s prompt: If you won the lottery you’d…

…Be really stupid and over the top with 2% of it, spending it on trips with friends and family and buying toys, cars, puppies and house stuff. And then spend the next year planning exactly how to spend or invest the other 98% of it. That’s what the responsible and logical me says.

If I were to break down the other 98%, here’s what comes to mind…

  • At least half of a million in an EdVest account for college.
  • A really good financial planner and stock broker that would be responsible for continually growing 20% of the money on various investments so that we could stop working if we really wanted to.
  • Charitable donations.
  • Buying or building our own house on Lake Drive in Milwaukee overlooking Lake Michigan.
  • Travelling around the world to various destinations.
  • A big fat check for our parents, at the very least.
  • A cabin up north, a place out west and probably a small corner of an island in the Bahamas to call our own.
  • At times, silly extravagant “on a whim” purchases …not to exceed more than 5% of the winnings, though.

So all in all, kind of predictable. Don’t get me wrong, I would be over the moon if the hubby and I won the lottery. Even if it was just a couple thousand, I’d be stoked. But I know that winning the lottery is only a means to giving us the freedom we want in order to pursue the things that will make us happy in the long run.

For today, both of us are lucky enough to have full-time jobs that pay us for our time. Granted, we’re not pursuing our dreams 24/7, but we know how to find time to pursue those dreams while also paying the bills and putting food on the table.

I didn’t mean for this to be a sentimental post, it just seems like the lottery sounds a lot more appealing when your world is crumbling around you and don’t know how to dig your way out. It’s the helping hand many need, but so often don’t get. And right now, even though there IS a lot going on in our careers and our lives, it seems manageable, so I’m thankful for that.

I have a lot more to update you all on, but I’ll save that for another post because my head is still a bit foggy from the cold meds I’m on (Thank you Zyrtec-D!). For those keep tracking of my book progress, though, I’m happy to tell you that I’ve written 32,000 words to date. I have four weeks left to hit my first 50,000 word goal and then in November I have to write 50,000words  in JUST FOUR WEEKS. It’s going to be insane. But I’m prepared. Happy October 1, everyone!

The Daily Tay

About Lindsay

Happy mother of one, advertising account executive, so-so runner, always caffeinated

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Instagram

It's coffee and farmers market time! (Or it was this morning).

Enter your email address to follow Happy by Design and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Happy by Design

Thoughts about motherhood, wellness and life.

Coffee + Crumbs

Thoughts about motherhood, wellness and life.

Inspired to Share

Thoughts about motherhood, wellness and life.

Motherly

Thoughts about motherhood, wellness and life.

MKE Moms Blog

a resource for Milwaukee moms

A Cup of Jo

Fashion, Beauty, Design, Culture, Food, Relationships, Motherhood

Thoughts By Natalie

A blog about simple + stylish living by jewelry designer Natalie Borton

Jamie LeRoy

Writer of things

%d bloggers like this: